Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Here, Drink This

One of the best things about having a chronic illness is that everyone seems to have a "cure." You will always meet someone who has a brother who has a girlfriend who has a squirrel who has a diabetic squirrel mom and here's what SHE did to cure it. 

The sad truth is, until scientists can "fix" our pancreases, we will never be cured. We can control this annoying disease and live completely normal lives. But we'll never be cured. Ever.

Not that that stops people from giving advice. Most of it is given out of love, concern, and pure faith that their technique works. It's almost NEVER given out of spite. Here are my top 3 favorite "cures" that have been offered by loved ones lately. While they won't "fix" my pancreas, they at least brought a smile to my face.

#3 Pickle Juice

This one is one of my favorite because of its source. This cure comes from the padre of my best friend, Lexy. When we moved in together freshman year of college, her dad found out I was a Type 1 Diabetic. At some point when she went home this is what she was told, "Your friend with Diabetes. Tell her to drink pickle juice and it will fix it. My friends dog had diabetes and he drank pickle juice and is cured." We still laugh about that to this day. Gracias, Armindo! I do love pickles.

#2 Gastric By-Pass Surgery



First of all, that's a brave soul to tell a curvy, 22-year-old that she needs weight loss surgery.

OK, so he totally didn't mean it like that. (Trust me, I asked.) But still.

The person who gave this little (not-as-sweet-as-the-pickle-juice-gesture) tidbit of advice is one of my dads closest friends and is actually very kind. He told me about this "cure" about 8 whiskeys in to my dad's birthday party a few weeks ago. So I'll let him slide. He said that everyone he knew who had Diabetes and got the gastric by-pass surgery woke up from the procedure without it. 

Maybe he meant Santa Clause and The Easter Bunny. 

#1 Aloe Vera Juice with Whiskey

This one comes from one of my favorite people in the whole world: my gay, Vietnamese, adopted brother. Everyone has one of those, right?

He was recently diagnosed with Diabetes and swears by this "cure." Now, it is a little more promising when someone who actually HAS Diabetes gives you advice, but the fact is that your pancreas is still kaput.

Quang has a bubbly personality that lights up a room, and honestly he could probably get rid of his Diabetes by telling it to go away nicely. A few days ago when he was begging me to try his daily aloe vera/whiskey concoction I mentioned that I'm not a huge whiskey fan. "Not a problem!" he exclaimed, "You like gin. You can use that!" Well now we're talking.



And here's the thing. I actually will try almost anything that is supposed to help. (Well, minus the invasive surgery.) If there's a rumor that drinking pickle juice will do the trick? Sure, why not? And I'm actually looking forward to trying Quang Le's miracle cure. Diabetics follow little tips every day (ie: cinnamon helps stabilize blood sugar.) But when it comes down to it, no matter what natural or alternative remedy comes along, I'm not going to stop taking my insulin. 

But to the people offering up their advice, I truly do appreciate you and your love for this feisty little diabadass. Keep the suggestions coming.

6 comments:

  1. So, does this mean the pickle juice didn't work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile so big! I can picture my dad say pickle juice would fix it. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know :) When I was writing this post I just wanted to hug him.

      Delete
  3. I really wish you would have mentioned the "penis" to cure your low blood pressure--although I know that's not related to yo crazy ass blood shooga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh gurrrlll that's a whole different blog ;)

      Delete